Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got an 02 1.8t and after being on this site im really interested in getting my car chipped but most of the people on here have the 2.0 engine in the newer modle my question is are the 1.8ts capeable of withstanding the chip the same way as the 2.0? can it take the added boost and if so apr the way to go?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
the type of chip you buy is specifically made for your engine. If you bought a chip it would be made for the 1.8T and therefore u would have no problems with the turbo at all.
as for the brand that you buy, its all about preference and availability. theres APR, GIAC, UNI, REVO and probably some more that i cant think of off the top of my head, but they are all good so its really up to you

·
Registered
556 Posts
Zizzle you also posted in the MKV forum area. If you went down 1 more discussion area you would see the MKIV forum, where you would get more information about your MKIV. The MKV's have the 2.0t engine whereas the MKIV's have the 1.8t. And like hambone69 explained already, the "chip" is engine specific. It changes around PSI, fuel maps, ignition, all varieties of things and is a great upgrade. I have yet to do so because I started with other items, Neuspeed Intake, GHL Turbo back exhaust and now I am looking at grabbing the chip. This way I can go from stock - APR Stage 2 to put down some hp/tq

·
Registered
459 Posts
Eh, I'd always recommend doing every bit of maintenance to the car to make sure it's in tip top shape, and then getting a compression test to see what kind of shape the engine block is in. I say this because the chip is going to put extra strain on the engine and turbo so if there are any issues the chip certainly isn't going to help them.

Now saying this, I'm not saying that chipping is dangerous or going to hurt your engine or turbo at all. Much care and lots of time have been put into the correct tuning, fuel maps, boost pressure and timing for each specific chip to ensure that the car handles within safe and useable parameters. I simply mentioned the afore preliminaries to make sure your engine is well taken care of and to make sure that any issues it might have are known of before money is put into the car for performance reasons.

Gotta make sure your ****'s in top shape if you want it to perform well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for sure thats my second issue i still have 100k warranty on my car im bringing it in for diagnostics before i get chipped but is that gonna screw my warranty after i get it

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i have a ECS stg1 clutch

it great just like stock in feel but with added performance

its a good clutch if you plan on just staying with your stock turbo i think, well worth the $$$.

i also got the lighter flywheel 14lb.

if you want a performance clutch South Bend are really good ones

·
Registered
46 Posts
well I read on a thread here if you're gonna chip your car, you might as well upgrade the clutch cuz it'll wear out faster. So I think $800 aint too bad for a chip and clutch, aye? And I'm stickin with the stock turbo for a while

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
to tell you the truth i dont think you need a upgraded clutch if you know how to drive.

i got a new clutch cuz mine was bad when i bought the car

but i know of a guy that is running stg 2 in his 05 and has stock clutch, at least he didnt tell me he changed it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, then what should I do with the extra 200-300 after chip? I beliebe the old owner already put DP on it, and I have a full CAI on it.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i say do the chip and if and only of the clutch goes then do it but i dont think it will

stock clutch is rated for about 200 hp which is what you will get with stg 1

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i would do suspension

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think my car was also lowered, too. Are the stock springs yellow? Me and this guy I work next door with who also has a GTI has black springs, and his is at stock height. Would that help me find the brand of it, or are the springs just cut?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would for sure replace the clutch... It makes a big performance difference... No point in having more power if you cant get it to the ground effectively. My stock clutch started slipping about a week after I had mine chipped and added turboback exhaust. And that clutch was under a year old. I don't grind gears, that clutch is just not that strong. Do it now and then you don't have to worry when you add power in the future that way. And like I said, its a great upgrade.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would for sure replace the clutch... It makes a big performance difference... No point in having more power if you cant get it to the ground effectively. My stock clutch started slipping about a week after I had mine chipped and added turboback exhaust. And that clutch was under a year old. I don't grind gears, that clutch is just not that strong. Do it now and then you don't have to worry when you add power in the future that way. And like I said, its a great upgrade.
then you don't know how to drive. I have the stock clutch / tranny and i've been chipped for around 25,000 miles now. perfectly fine.

btw, i'm roughly 250 whp and 270 wtq

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
then you don't know how to drive. I have the stock clutch / tranny and i've been chipped for around 25,000 miles now. perfectly fine.

yea that the person i know thats chiped and with stock clutch

some people just dont know how to drive a manual

like i said b4 the stock clutch is rated for like 225 hp which is more then you will get with stg1

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts

you can use the stock clutch fine with it, its not a matter of knowing how to drive or not, if you throw a rod with a tq spike that hits 320ft/lb is it because ya cant drive? No its because the stock parts arent built to take that much stress, now a stg 1 or even stg 2 clutch with a lighter flywheel will grab a ton better even tho it isn't 100% needed, does that make it worthless? No, it'll help ya bang through gears faster, transfer power better and in the case of a lw flywhell get more bhp to the wheels. So if ya got the money upgrade it if not f*ck it, and if your on stock turbo, you're maybe near 230 and 250 wheel respectively

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
hell josh couldnt break 240whp and he spent HOURS on the dyno...

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
hell josh couldnt break 240whp and he spent HOURS on the dyno...
W3rd, I can gues I'm at 250 but that dont make it so, Highest ever achieved on stock is 258 wheel and thats killing the turbo cranked wg, diodes soldered in (hits 27 psi), so on and so forth def not to be dailyed that high

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.